Saturday, December 14, 2013

What does adoption feel like?

I didn't know how I would feel as we waited to go to China.  I asked God to grow a deep love for her in our hearts.  We've had Emma Kate almost three weeks now but it feels like she has always been here.  We love her so much and she loves us too!  I don't feel like we adopted a child, I feel like we had a baby.  I don't feel like we just got back from China, I feel like we just got home from the hospital.  I know it sounds strange but that's just how it feels.  Maybe because I was just so tired in the first days home and much of my time was spent just holding her and bonding with her.  Maybe because my body was sore from all of the walking in China with an extra 20 pounds attached to me.  We've been home only nine days but China is a distant memory.  Am I just getting old?  I mean nine days isn't that long but it was an eternity ago...  Each day in China was a blur and time didn't seem to exist.  Was I just jet lagged or was this God's way of creating a love that is natural just as with a newborn baby?  There was an immediate bond.  I watched eagerly as they brought the children out one at a time.  I saw the lady walk out with a baby that I could barely see so I jumped up and started to walk closer to see if it was Emma Kate.  The Chinese name of our daughter was called out before I even got a good look so I ran over quickly and she was handed right over to me.  I loved her immediately.  She seemed so tiny compared to how she looked in the most recent pictures we had.  The memories of that day are vivid, but China is just a dream.  I don't feel like I was ever there.  I remember it well, but it just feels so distant.  Emma Kate is such a blessing.  We are so very lucky to be her parents.  I am so thankful that I trusted God.  Satan placed fear and doubt in my mind before we started this journey and while we were in the midst of it but I had faith we were doing what God called us to do and I knew God's plan was perfect.  There were people that questioned us..."how will you raise so much money in such a short time?", "what will happen if you don't have the money in time?", "shouldn't you have most of the money in savings before you start the adoption process?".  "I don't know how we will raise so much money", "God will provide all we need in his timing", "I wanted to wait until we had more in savings but God said trust me and go now".  We stepped out on faith.  If I hadn't trusted God, if I had let Satan talk me out of following God, if I listened to the doubters, if I hadn't humbled myself...where would Zhao DaiXuan be?  How sad it would be to miss out on our "blessings in china".  We are blessed to have so many people praying for us, encouraging us and supporting us.  Each and every person who had even the tiniest part in helping us get to China,  thank you for following God's commandment in James 1:27.  You don't have to adopt, but please see what a blessing adoption is and pray for those in process, give up eating out a time or two in order to give to a family that needs $30,000 to bring their child home,  donate your time to that mama that is exhausted from fundraising and needs help.  It is so worth it and your one day or hour of help will mean so much!  If you think I didn't appreciate your help because I didn't seem to show it, think again!  I love every one of you for helping us!  I was exhausted and could barely keep up with what day it was but I appreciated every one of you!  I can't wait to share Emma Kate with all of you.  Thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment